Sunday, August 28, 2011

the TABLE pt. III, the fable of the table

This booklet come late in the table project, as it all started to gloriously mushroom beyond all reasonable proportion. I had been drawing mini-scenes with these characters for a few weeks and I just couldn't stop thinking about them. I think at this point we had given them names, and one night when I couldn't sleep, I thought it would be useful to write down more about who they were, I guess. (Yes it's true, with this last step they became even more the people we really know. Things are always more interesting when they are real....) We did not intend to use it exactly, but Steve and Abbey and I decided well, why not. I re-used some of the art from the table interior, and for text scanned my late-night scrawl directly, scratch outs and all. This book is kind of a distant relative to the Marcel Wanders book I did~ illustrated story as metaphor for design object. Thus the Fable of the Table was born. Click on photos to view larger and read text.

(Pages were copied and binding sewn on my grandma's 1980's Brother machine. Thanks guys, no one would have seen this if you didn't do it, heaven knows I had no time....)













* I guess I gotta say it: Be nice, don't steal. Text and images copyright Shannon McNeill 2011. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

paige said...

This is wonderful, Shan! Looooooooving it all!!!